Vietnamese Coffee is best known for its deep roasted and robust coffee beans. Although Vietnam is the second largest coffee producer in the world, even the best Vietnamese coffee blends are often and unfairly overlooked when discussing specialty coffees. That's a major misconception that we address in this article.
The reason for this stigma is that most of the Vietnamese coffee will be made from Robusta beans, which aren't as sweet as their Arabica counterparts. Robusta delivers twice the caffeine punch though. What most people don't realize is that the best Vietnamese coffee blends will almost always use a mix of both types of coffee species. We've compiled a list of the best Vietnamese Coffees in the industry so you don't have to spend your time hunting down the best brews.
Best Vietnamese Coffee of 2020
Nguyen Coffee Supply
Copper Cow Coffee
Trung Nguyen Coffee
Lang Thang Coffee
Nguyen Coffee Supply
Topping this list is Nguyen Coffee Supply who offers this charming variety pack. The three different blends offers something for every type of coffee lover. The True Grit is a 100% Robusta Peaberry while their Loyalty Blend is a wonderful 50/50 mix of Robusta and Arabica beans. Lastly, the Moxy is a sweet a smooth blend of 100% Arabica beans. These premium beans are imported directly from Vietnam and then roasted in Brooklyn, NY. This is specialty Vietnamese coffee at its finest.
Copper Cow Coffee Vietnamese Coffee
Copper Cow Coffee may not specifically sound like Vietnamese Coffee, but they're known for producing some of best Vietnamese Coffee in the industry. If you're a coffee snob looking to for an introduction to the world of Vietnamese Coffee, Copper Cow Coffee makes an excellent choice. This variety pack in particular gives you access to 5 of their most popular flavors and will really allow you to experience the quality of coffee they produce. Additionally, their coffee comes in convenient single serve pour over pouches which are great for bringing coffee with you when you're on the go. Their coffee is a blend of Arabica and Robusta which offer a much more full-bodied and complex tasting experience.
Trung Nguyen Coffee
Trung Nguyen Coffee needs little introduction among those who appreciate top quality Vietnamese Coffee. Another blend of Arabica and Robusta (60/40), this coffee delivers a deeply intense flavor that will keep your taste buds stimulated long after you've finished your first sip. With refined and subtle hints of chocolate, this coffee offers a uniquely balanced and complex coffee experience. It's also priced very attractively.
Lang Thang Vietnamese Coffee
Lang Thang coffee is grown in the Saigon area and offers a tasteful signature blend of both Arabica and Robusta coffee. This specific blend even includes some rare Peaberry coffee beans, which are known for a refined sweet flavor. This coffee has a bold taste with a balanced intensity typical of the best Vietnamese Coffee on the market. The Peaberry contributes to a subtle sweetness that resembles a light vanilla extract flavor.
What is Vietnamese Coffee
Coffee was first introduced in Vietnam in the mid 1800's by none other than the French (who certainly know their coffee). By the early 1900's, the coffee industry had blossomed into a major player in the Vietnamese economy.
The term Vietnamese Coffee usually refers to one of two things.
- Vietnamese Coffee is actually not just coffee found in Vietnam. Many people use the term to Vietnamese Coffee to refer to a popular Vietnamese drink which is also called “Ca Phe Sua Da”. It's a specific type of coffee that's served hot, with sweetened condensed milk, or coconut milk.
- Vietnamese Coffee can also refer to the same coffee that was brought over by the French in 1857. It was actually French missionaries that originally brought over Arabica trees from the island of Bourbon only to plant them in Tonkin, the northern region of Vietnam.
If you ever find yourself in a cafe in Vietnam, be sure to note the differences above when ordering.
As we mentioned earlier, Vietnam is the second largest coffee producer in the world. When discussing the best coffees in the world, Vietnamese is often overlooked. A big reason for this is that 97% of the beans grown in Vietnam are Robusta with the remaining 3% being Arabica.
Related Article: Interested in shopping the best exotic coffee?