The concept of mold free coffee might sound weird. You might be thinking, shouldn't ALL coffee be mold free?
The reality is that coffee, due to its long storage process, is very susceptible to mold growth which produces toxic chemicals such as mycotoxins. One study found that over 1/4 of all coffees tested had mold. Other studies report numbers as high as 60%. That's alarming. As coffee lovers, I think we can all agree that we need to be educated about what we're actually putting into our bodies when we drink our magic brew.
Today we take a look at Kion Coffee, one of the many specialty coffee brands focused on delivering 100% organic mold free coffee.
Mold Free and Pesticide Free Coffee
Kion Coffee is all about purity. Their coffee is tested by an independent lab for 60 different types of mold ensuring that their coffee mold free throughout every stage of the production chain. The company also places a high premium on being totally pesticide free. Coffee is one of the most chemically treated crops in the world so the fact that this brew is pesticide free is a huge benefit.
Antioxidant Rich Coffee
Did you know that roasting isn't just about flavor? Kion Coffee tailors their roasts to maximize the presence of helpful antioxidants while limiting the presence of excessive caffeine. By roasting their beans in the middle of the roasting spectrum, Kion has produced a coffee bean with exceptionally high amounts of antioxidants. Independent tests found that Kion Coffee contained double the amount of antioxidants compared to the other tested coffees. In certain cases, their antioxidant content was nearly 10 times higher than other popular organic coffee brands.
For many health conscious coffee lovers, that's a good enough reason to try Kion Coffee.
Kion Coffee uses exceptionally high standards for their beans that only 1% of all coffees in the world meet. They use the following 6 metrics:
- Kion Coffee knows healthy coffee all starts with the coffee bean itself. They make sure their green coffee beans already contain high levels of antioxidants.
- Less than 3% of all coffee in the world is considered certified organic. Kion Coffee always sources their beans from this exclusive pool of organic coffee.
- Kion Coffee delivers “near zero defect” coffee. Their specialty grade beans are subject to the highest of standards to a point where they won't even use beans that are chipped enough to cause an uneven roast.
- Kion Coffee is always mold free.
- Their coffee is always sustainably grown
- Their coffee is roasted to preserve the highest levels of healthy phytochemicals and antioxidants.
Kion Coffee Review: Flavor
Kion Coffee is a deeply enjoyable medium roast that teems with natural coffee flavor. In a day and age when artificial flavors have become the norm, it's always refreshing to try a coffee that stays true to the coffee bean.
This coffee is very smooth with virtually no bitterness. It's strong while offering subtle notes of chocolate and balanced citrus that will delight even the biggest coffee snobs out there.
At $19.99 a bag, Kion Coffee is more expensive than your average coffee. But then again, this is by no means your average coffee. The old adage of “You get what you pay for” holds true here. Kion Coffee is definitely worth a try if only to experience what “pure” gourmet coffee tastes like.
Check out our article on healthy coffees for more information.