In this article, we discuss the importance of a milk frother and take a look at the best automatic milk frothers of 2020.
We've written many articles on how to make the perfect cup of coffee. Whether it's through buying the most exotic coffee beans or investing in a quality coffee grinder, there are many different factors to consider in the brewing process. One key factor that's often overlooked is the milk frother.
If you're a fan of milk-based drinks like cappuccinos and lattes, then you'll already know the importance of a thick, textured, foamy froth. A milk frother can really enhance your coffee experience and for a moderately small investment, you can take your morning latte to the next level.
When it comes to milk froth, it's important to consider a number of factors.
- What is my budget?
- How much do I care about the quality of froth (texture, bubble size, taste)?
- How much volume is required (how many cups of lattes or cappuccinos will you need to fill
- How much counter space do I have?
Below we've curated a list of the best automatic milk frothers of 2020 to help make your purchasing decisions that much easier. As a note, we chose to focus on automatic frothers as opposed to handheld frothers, simply because the quality and texture of the froth is superior.
HadinEEon Automatic Electric Milk Frother
Our top pick for best automatic milk frothers of 2020 is the HadinEEon Automatic Electric Frother. It's an incredibly stylish and high-performing milk frother that comes with two different types of whisks: frothing and heating.
It guarantees a rich and smooth texture and can heat your milk to 149 Fahrenheit within 60 seconds. Smart LED indicators make it easy to tell whether the frother is heating mode or not. Given its attractive price point and array of useful features, we found this frother to be the best all-around choice.
- Stylish and elegant design
- 2 different whisks (frothing and heating)
- Rapid heating in under a minute
- Attractive price
Breville Milk Cafe Frother
To no surprise, Breville's milk frother known as the Milk Cafe' makes our list. Although it's priced higher than many of its competitors, it offers so many features that it's more than worth it if you care about the quality of foam in your brew. This premium frother gives you superb control over the temperature which is a huge plus.
Using induction heating, the Breville Milk Cafe evenly and gently heats the milk. As a result of this gradual process, this feature-laden frother enables you to make especially small bubbles in your froth making for the smoothest and thickest foam. Another notable quality about this frother is its ability to produce these results each time, every time. It's extremely consistent to say the least.
- Latte frothing disc for smooth and silky milk.
- Cappucino frothing disk for thick and creamy froth
- Hot chocolate maker, by simply adding drinking chocolate powder, flakes or syrup to the warming milk
- On-board disc storage / Automatic shut off
- Product uses induction heating, you can simply place the jug in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
Capresso Frother Select
The new Capresso Froth Select is another impressive milk frother that offers an especially large 16-ounce capacity for foam and 20-ounce capacity for heating. This frother features different 4 illuminated settings: Hot froth, Cold froth, Hot milk & a special Hot Chocolate. Like the other frothers on this list, this frother produces deliciously high quality froth with the touch of a button.
- Largest Capacity: 16-ounce for frothing, 20-ounce for heating without froth
- Patented Technology: Delivers maximum milk froth at the touch of a button
- Hot Chocolate: Perfectly melts chocolate chips or chunks while frothing and heating milk or non-dairy milk
- Easy to Clean: Dishwasher safe, removable milk pitcher is stainless steel
Automatic milk frothers are an excellent option if you're looking to recreate the lattes and cappuccinos at home. However, as we eluded to at the start of this article, they aren't your only option. If you want solid foam but don't have the budget for the automatic frothers on this list, consider a handheld or battery-operated milk frother.
Handheld Milk Frothers
Handheld frothers are battery operated and are basically whisks that you can stick directly inside your cup of milk. The spinning motion of the whisk combined with a manual up and down motion whips air into the milk giving you the desired foam.
- Least expensive option for milk frothing
- You can use it for whisking eggs and dressings
- Foam is light and foamy
- Easy to clean
- Does not heat or cool milk
- Produces less texture than automatic milk frothers
- Batteries need to be changed often
- Due to the lack of enclosure, the milk can often splatter
This concludes our guide to the best automatic milk frothers on the market. Most coffee lovers don't necessarily care about the size of the bubbles in their foam although I completely understand those who do. For many consumers out there, a basic handheld milk frother is more than enough to give them the foam they desire. For others, it may require an automatic milk frother like those on this list. Either way, as is the case with any purchase, make sure you do your research and go with what works best for you.