When deciding between two options for a permanent way to brew great tasting coffee, most Americans choose that reliable workhorse, the Pour-Over method. Below we discuss a simple secret for beginners to help them consistently produce the best pour over possible: Gooseneck Kettles
Why go with a Pour Over Brew Method
Many people tend to prefer a lighter, smoother brew free of residual grit than the comparatively strong, bold coffee from a French press. Neither the Pour-Over method nor the French press technique is objectively superior. The decision to choose one or the other depends on one’s preferred way to greet the morning day after day for years to come. Perhaps some day the pendulum will swing the opposite way, and coffee from a French press will rule.
Part of the appeal of the Pour Over method is the convenience and apparent simplicity of the set-up. It's a standard method of brewing, which seems almost like child’s play. You heat water in a kettle, you pour the water over coffee grounds in a cone fitted with a filter, you add more water to soak the grounds thoroughly, and let the coffee drip into the pot below. Right?
The truth is a Pour Over can get pretty intricate if you let it. The Pour Over method allows the brewer to easily and precisely control many different variables in the brew process. Things like water temperature, pressure, timing, and quantity will all affect the way your coffee will taste.
Recommended Article: 47 Tips for Better Pour Over
Unfortunately, the standard results can be inconsistent as you struggle to produce the same pleasing great tasting coffee day after day. This problem can be fixed quite easily and economically. Often times people make the common mistake of using a regular kettle for heating and pouring water. With a regular kettle, you’re never quite sure what you did right one day and what went wrong the next day.
It may be tempting to use a kettle you’ve relied upon for years, such as that tea kettle you inherited – the one with the black and white cow jumping over the moon. Resist the temptation – please! Retire that antique to the knick knack shelf. If you try to use it for pour-over coffee, you will wake up to surprises almost every day–not the pleasant kind
While many baristas and coffee connoisseurs may already know the importance of a Gooseneck Kettle, a vast majority of coffee lovers don't.
When you use a regular tea kettle for the pour-over method of brewing coffee, it is virtually impossible to control the amount and rate of flow of the water as you try to wet the coffee grounds properly. Inevitably you pour the water unevenly in two ways and you won't achieve even flavor extraction. You soak some areas of the grounds too thoroughly and other areas inadequately, and you pour the water too quickly or too slowly – or both within one frustrating minute.
A gooseneck kettle permits you to control both the amount and the rate of water flow. The secret lies in both the shape of the curved. Narrow spout and the comfortable handle. Both features permit maximum control and when your looking to create the consistent coffee, control is very important. The best gooseneck kettles will allow you to maintain different pour rates.
The results are also twofold. Both the texture of the coffee grounds and the reliable consistency of the flowing coffee are predictable. The ultimate result is great tasting coffee every time –practically guaranteed.
Benefits of the Gooseneck Kettle Key Points
- Controlled pouring is one of the biggest advantages of using a gooseneck kettle. It's recommended that when making a Pour Over, you pour the water in a circular motion. The natural design of a gooseneck kettle allows you to do this easily since you can manage water pressure and direction with great precision and ease.
- Your coffee will taste better. At the end of the day, being able to aim your pour yields better coffee. By achieving an even extraction, you'll produce a much smoother and fuller brew.
- Consistent Results. As mentioned earlier, it's all about repeatability. If you can make a good cup of coffee one day but can't do it the next, then that's not a good place to be in. The precision that comes with a gooseneck kettle means you can reproduce many different key variables to the brew process.
Recommended Top 3 Gooseneck Kettles
We recommend the following premium Gooseneck Kettles for their durability, performance, and overall value.
AiCook Gooseneck Electric Kettle
Topping this list is none other than AiCook's Gooseneck Kettle. There are many things to like about this high-tech yet easy to use Kettle. Although this electric gooseneck kettle is more expensive than the others on this list, I think it's well worth the money when you consider all the life-improving features that come with it.
- 1°F Accurate Temp Control – With to-the-degree temperature control, you can brew your favorite coffee like a pro. By turning the dial to select the temp from the wide range between 100°F and 212°F.
- Keep Warm & Mute Function – After reaching your desired temperature, the kettle will automatically hold it for 10 min, and you can extend the hold time to 120min.
- Exquisite Engineering – The electric kettle has a long gooseneck spout to ensure precise pouring and steady water flow. A balanced body build and heat-resistant handle encourage a more comfortable and longer time of pour.
- Pure Taste & Safe Tech – The inner kettle is made with 304 food-grade stainless steel. Comparing with other variable temp kettles, there is no silicon or plastic aside the temp sensor.
- Quick+Quiet Heating – 1200w quickly heats up 0.5L water in just 4min.
Barista Warrior Pour Over Kettle
The Barista Warrior Pour Over kettle is extremely durable and well-made. It may not have all the fancy features of the AiCook kettle, but it delivers all the precision you need from a gooseneck kettle. Priced at almost half the price, this is the perfect option for someone who doesn't need extra bells and whistles.
- Integrated thermometer for gauging optimal brewing temperatures
- Easy to Pour spout allows you to achieve maximum precision
- Ergonomic handle gives you full control over water pressure
- Made from surgical-grade stainless steel construction
- Can be used with induction, halogen, gas, and electric ranges
Barista Space Kettle
Barista Space, as their name suggests, produces barista-quality brewing equipment. Their kettles are extremely well made and in my opinion, are a fitting example of what Barista-quality kettles should be. This Barista Space kettle has garnered many positive reviews for its simpicity, elegance, durability, and effectiveness.
- Easy to grip premium wooden handle
- Spout designed for 3 different pour settings (drip, medium, heavy)
- Made from 304-rated Stainless steel construction with a capacity of 600ML
Two additional tips for buying Gooseneck Kettles
First, consider purchasing an electric gooseneck kettle (like the AiCook) if you have the budget for it. You will find it extraordinarily convenient, and you will love using the thermometer and temperature controls rather than tending to the process over a stove.
Second, don’t try to save money by buying a cheap model from an obscure manufacturer. Too often they contain serious defects, such as parts that rust, that you can avoid by purchasing one of the best models available. You get what you pay for, and this definitely holds true when it comes to buying the best gooseneck kettle.